"We are witnessing a social phenomenon that is about fundamentalism," says Colin Slee, the Dean of Southwark. "Atheists like the Richard Dawkins of this world are just as fundamentalist as the people setting off bombs on the tube. . ."
Below is a guide to how to tell the difference between Richard Dawkins, (RD) the well-known evolutionary biologist and atheist and Mohammad Sidique Khan, (MSK) the less well-known suicide tube bomber.
1. Ask him what place inspires him:-
2. Ask him what book inspires him:-
RD: The Origin of Species
MSK:The Koran (or Qu’ran)
3. Ask him what kind of videos he watches:-
RD: David Attenborough
MSK: Holy snuff videos of people being beheaded
4. Ask him what kind of videos he makes:-
RD: Ones where shouts at religious believers
MSK: Ones where he declaims his right to kill people at random
5. Ask him what will happen after his death?
RD: He will turn to dust
MSK: He will turn other people to dust first, then enjoy 72 virgins
6. You are the daughter of one of these gentlemen. You bring home your new boyfriend, Isaac Goldstein, a member of a Reformed synagogue. What will happen?
RD: You will be embarrassed to death as your father harangues poor Izzy for the drivelling stupidity of his beliefs
MSK: Death, to both you and poor Izzy
7. A female Christian is working at an airline. How will either gentleman react to her face?
RD: Says it’s stupid
MSK: Says it should be hidden
8. You’re walking along the street. You see one of these gentleman with a rucksack – what do you do?
RD: Ask him if he’s heading out of town to go hill-walking
MSK: Run and take cover
9. You hear these gentlemen described as "explosive". How do you take this information?
RD: Metaphorically – avoid an argument with him
MSK: Literally – run and take cover
10. You are a distinguished academic (eg Terry Eagleton, Professor of Cultural Theory at Manchester University). How will you regard these two gentlemen?